Six state placers end season with a bang

Posing+with+their+medals%2C+seniors+Daley+Burkett%2C+Tristan+Seales%2C+and+Emily+Corona+celebrate+the+end+of+the+wrestling+season+at+the+state+tournament+at+Cypress+Fairbanks+area.+After+months+of+regular+season%2C+and+three+weeks+of+UIL+finals+matches%2C+Redhawk+wrestling+returns+with+six+athletes+taking+top+six+in+Texas+for+their+weight+class.+

Brian Seales

Posing with their medals, seniors Daley Burkett, Tristan Seales, and Emily Corona celebrate the end of the wrestling season at the state tournament at Cypress Fairbanks area. After months of regular season, and three weeks of UIL finals matches, Redhawk wrestling returns with six athletes taking top six in Texas for their weight class.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Finishing their season with the UIL State Tournament on Friday and Saturday, wrestling returns from Cypress with six athletes finishing in the top six in the state in their respective weight classes. 

“It was definitely a culmination of the season,” head coach Cody Bridwell said. “I saw some people really come out and give their absolute best effort, they wrestled hard, and they showed class and really showed the type of person they are.” 

Finishing 6th in the state, the girls’ finished just one point out of a top five place. 

“Megan Weinbach, I felt gave her heart and soul she was just you know she had the flu, and after seeing Emily Corona wrestle the first match, I knew she was going to be okay. She had a fantastic tournament, actually hit a Russian arm spin which was a nice throw,” Bridwell said. “Karina Quiros worked her tail off, just came up short. Daley Burkett is probably one of the most amazing stories, going from manager to placing sixth at state, it’s hard to beat that story. And, you know, then you have Princess, who we knew was one of our top wrestlers getting to the state finals, and she didn’t have it workout her way, but man, she worked her butt off to get there.”

Taking second place, senior Princess Egbuchanam placed the highest on the Redhawk team, and ended her career with one of the sports’ highest accomplishments. 

“I was partially nervous because I really wanted to do well and have worked hard all for this tournament and I knew I had to work even harder because my bracket was one of the hardest out of the 5A girls brackets,” Egbuchanam said. “I was disappointed that I got second because it was my goal to get first since the beginning of season and since it’s my senior year I won’t have another chance to go to state.”

On the boys’ side, the Redhawks placed 13th as a team. 

“I was glad to see Mitchell Borynack go so far. I truly believe the top four in state at his weight class. You can mix them up into any order, they were that good,” Bridwell said. “Micheal Breslav had a great tournament. Tristan Seales finished up a wonderful career. Armando Vasquez didn’t have things turn out the way he wanted it to, but he still wrestled hard. I think Prince is now discovering that you got to know a little more technique even though he won a ton of matches it was out of just great effort. Now, he knows he needs to focus more on technique for next year.”

Making school history, freshman Mitchell Borynack is now the first freshman to place at state, by taking fourth at 113 pounds. 

“I felt like I wrestled pretty well, I think I could have done better, but it is what it is,” Borynack said. “I feel pretty good, but I want to win state next year, plain and simple.”