Preparing for the future with first ever career fair

Maddie Aronson

Frisco ISD is hosting a job fair at Lebanon Trail High School Saturday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.

Ananda Ghoshal, Staff Reporter

The school is hosting its first-ever career fair on Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., featuring representatives from various types of careers, and trades, focusing it on students who may be thinking of other options besides going to college.

“We tend to focus a lot on what you need to do to go to college and to get into a four-year school,” college and career counselor Shawna Chamberlin said. “I think that there is an area in which there was a need for more career advising, more career planning, and counseling.”

Teachers had the opportunity to sign up their 2B or 3B classes, but students can also visit during advisory and meet with representatives for particular industries, and have a chance to meet with individuals who are working in various fields.

“We have individuals from State Farm Insurance, we have representatives that are coming in from nursing and we even have people that are coming from construction management and automotive for students who may be interested in that career path,” Chamberlin said. “I think if you focus on the city of Frisco in general, and how the growth is just continuing to increase in this area, there are probably more jobs available than we have people that need jobs. And so this career fair is really going to be geared towards what are the next upcoming job trends, where students can make a pretty good living.”

Many students who do not plan on going to college, such as junior Inaya Sheikh, see this as a great opportunity to discover other paths which may not require going to college or getting a higher education.

“Students may like the job fair so that they can explore different career options and see what they would be interested in without having to continue their education after high school,” Sheikh said. “It’s a good way for people who know if they want to go to college or not to get a chance to decide if they are interested in a certain field such as math or science or something completely different so that they can make that decision.”