Students see a glimpse into a future outside of college

Seoyeon Stephanie Chung

Seoyeon Stephanie Chung, WTV Staff Reporter

Campus’s first-ever Career Fair was hosted in the library on Wednesday where representatives from more than a dozen programs, including several from Collin College, State Farm Insurance, and the Frisco Fire and Police departments were on hand to provide students with information about options outside of a four year college. 

“Career fair has been asked by students and asked by the parent and asked by counsellors for us to be able to offer career options available, not just bringing in college counselors,” College and Career Counselor Shawna Chamberlain said. “Bringing in a career, people who are affiliated with these programs to really give you an idea of what you can be making, how much time it would take to do these careers.”

For Aveda Arts & Sciences Institute Admissions Manager Victoria Wright, the career fair was a way to help students learn about opportunities beyond a university or 4 year college. 

“I love these events. I think it is really great for high schoolers, especially to give them some options outside the four year degree,” Wright said. “I love giving students the opportunity to explore all the options that are available to them, because I know for me, everyone expects you to graduate from high school, go to your four-year university, and that is not the path for everyone.” 

With many classes on campus designed to help students prepare for college, the career fair gave junior Sarah Ahmed new information.

“I think it is a good opportunity because it’s a good way to learn about fields that we might not be exposed to,” Ahmed said. “It is a great way to connect with people.”