District emails parents concerning coronavirus

Nurse+Emily+Mikeska+wears+a+medical+mask+amidst+the+coronavirus+outbreak.+Frisco+ISD+emailed+parents+and+guardians+Thursday+at+4%3A30+p.m.+with+information+on+plans+to+prevent+and+control+the+coronavirus.+

Nurse Emily Mikeska wears a medical mask amidst the coronavirus outbreak. Frisco ISD emailed parents and guardians Thursday at 4:30 p.m. with information on plans to prevent and control the coronavirus.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

As the coronavirus continues to spread, discussions about what needs to be done have gone from the international, to the national, to the local level as well with Frisco ISD sending an email to parents on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. 

“Frisco ISD has been working with our staff and students to reinforce the importance of handwashing, proper hygiene, and manually cleaning of surfaces with wipes and disinfectants as a precaution to maintain healthy classrooms during cold and flu season,” Frisco ISD wrote in the email. The email continued with “We encourage our families to keep children at home when they are sick or experiencing fever. Your child must be free of fever for 24 hours, without Tylenol or Advil, not vomiting or had diarrhea for 24 hours prior to returning to school. Antibiotics must be taken for 24 hours before returning to school.”  

Thursday’s email comes a day after Frisco ISD was still evaluating how to move forward on the issue, following guidance from health departments at all levels of the government. 

“We are currently evaluating the situation and getting regular updates from the Collin County and Denton County health departments in addition to numerous other government entities, including the CDC,” FISD Communication Facilitator Korinna Kirchhoff said via email. “We look forward to their continued direction.” 

The district’s information release is a result of questions received in recent days including a Wingspan request for comment on Wednesday. It also comes on the heels of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases director Dr. Nancy Messonnier warning schools to seek action against the outbreak on Tuesday. 

“You should ask your children’s schools about their plans for school dismissals or school closures,” Messonnier said during a press briefing. “Ask about plans for teleschool. CDC is concerned about the situation but we are putting our concerns to work preparing. Now is the time for hospitals, schools and everyday people to begin preparing as well.”’