Diving deeper into the culture of French-speaking countries

The+window+for+students+to+make+any+changes+in+their+course+requests+for+next+year+opens+this+Friday.+The+deadline+for+students+to+request+a+change+in+courses+for+2021-2022+is+Friday+April+15+at+4%3A30+p.m.+

Yael Even

The window for students to make any changes in their course requests for next year opens this Friday. The deadline for students to request a change in courses for 2021-2022 is Friday April 15 at 4:30 p.m.

Aarya Oswal, Guest Contributor

Students in Pre-AP French 2 classes are continuing to present projects on Friday that are designed to improve skills not just in speaking, but to also gain knowledge about French cultures from around the world.

“We are doing a travel project which has several goals for students to accomplish,” teacher Jeannie Taillat said. “One of the goals is to let students discover a new francophone country or region that they might otherwise have known about. The second reason is to create a more realistic application of the things that we have learned in class. So we typically learn the language: we learn to talk in the present tense, we learn to talk in the past tense, and we learn to talk in the future tense, but with this project, we get to mix all of these together and see a real-life application of how they work.”

Hoping to learn more about the country she is doing research on, sophomore Varda Khan believes it could help her French speaking knowledge be better.

“This project that we are doing in our French 2 class is about traveling to a French-speaking country and we are just researching stuff about the country like what we would do over there and how we would get there,” Khan said. “There are different tenses in french like one of them is the near future tense, which is what we have to use. This project will really help us talk better in the near future tense rather than the past and present tense which we’ve been using for most of the year. Hopefully, out of this project, we will gain some knowledge about the countries themselves as well.”

Freshman Parth Pagar hopes to learn more about the different french cultures instead of just learning how to speak French.

“I like the french project because we get to learn about all of these new places and the attractions over there,” Pagar said. “I, for example, chose Quebec as my country. You can also learn about the cultures of the places that speak french. It’s a good project which can help us learn about different types of French cultures around the world. We shouldn’t just know about how to speak the language but instead also know about how different french speakers around the world interact with one another.”