Redhawk becomes a Conquistador at college signing

Provided by Dodge City Cheer

Moving on to cheer at the collegiate level, senior Ryleigh Bates signs to Dodge City College. While cheering at Dodge City, Bates plans to continue her education at either Texas Tech or The University of Arkansas.

Amelia Jáuregui, Staff Reporter

From being a Redhawk cheerleader to now representing the Conquistadors, as a part of the Dodge City (KS) Cheer Squad, on Friday, senior Ryleigh Bates became the first girl in school history signing to cheer at the collegiate level.

“It’s an honor to have been selected to be a member of the cheer team,” Bates said. “The coach has taken multiple teams to nationals and even won nationals six times.”

In addition to cheer, the campus provides her with multiple academic opportunities.

“While I decided to go to this college because I liked the campus and the cheer coach, they offer an early childhood program,” Bates said. “I have a passion for teaching children and was impressed by their program.”

While at Dodge City, Bates has goals she wants to accomplish.

“Academically I am looking forward to earning my associate degree and later transfer to a four year school for my bachelors, most likely Arkansas or Texas Tech,” Bates said. “For cheer, I’m looking forward to earning a spot on mat to compete for a national championship.”