Fine arts lends a hand to damaged Dallas programs

The+2019+Winter+Extravaganza+raised+more+than+%2414%2C000++and+on+Tuesday%2C+March+3%2C+2020%2C+several+fine+arts+students+presented+a+checked+for+that+amount+to+representatives+of+the+Dallas+Education+Foundation.+The+donation+will+help+fund+the+replacement+and+repair+of+fine+arts+equipment+destroyed+or+damaged+by+the+tornado+that+tore+through+parts+of+Dallas+on+October+20%2C+2019.+

Caroline Attmore

The 2019 Winter Extravaganza raised more than $14,000 and on Tuesday, March 3, 2020, several fine arts students presented a checked for that amount to representatives of the Dallas Education Foundation. The donation will help fund the replacement and repair of fine arts equipment destroyed or damaged by the tornado that tore through parts of Dallas on October 20, 2019.

Madigan Gunia, WTV Staff Reporter

Downing trees, devastating cools, and damaging hundreds of cars, tornadoes blew through the metroplex on Oct. 20, dealing hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

Among the countless buildings damaged were several Dallas ISD schools with various fine arts programs having their musical instruments heavily damaged, if not destroyed.

Fast forward to yesterday, and representatives of the fine arts program donated a check for more than 14 thousand dollars, raised from the Winter Extravaganza, to the Dallas Education Foundation

Explaining the donation, senior, Red Rhythm captain Ellie Cline was one of the Redhawks that presented the foundation with the proceeds.

“The fine arts department in our December show, we raise money by selling admission tickets,” Cline said. “We just presented the check to the Dallas ISD representative for the impact they had with the tornadoes back in December. It’s money going straight to the fine arts departments that were impacted by those natural disasters, so we just wanted to find a way to help.”

On campus to receive the donation was Tim Linley, executive director of visual performing arts from Tim Linley.

“There was a tremendous impact when the tornado came. It basically demolished the school and we had a thriving fine arts program in the schools that now needed to operate and find a whole brand new home. In some respects that’s a challenge from a logistical standpoint and really also a material standpoint. Instruments and dance floors all need to be replaced. We are extremely thankful that a school like this is helping us. We are blessed and very thankful.”