Springing off into break, FA classroom hosts cookie sale

Kasey Harvey

During all periods on Thursday, functional academic’s classroom is hosting a cookie sale for staff on campus. Fake money will be kept in a basket outside the classroom for staff to use in the sale.

Bake sales are a common sight at many schools, but on Thursday, the functional academics classroom hosted a cookie “sale” all day Thursday for staff members.

“Our occupational therapist was the one who had the idea she said other FA classes at other high schools do it,” functional academics and special education teacher Cheryl Madani said. “She offered to pick up the cookies that were free from Market Street with the icing and so she gave me the idea and she said it’s done every spring right before spring break.”

Encouraged to stop by, staff members took fake money from the basket outside the door to use in the sale. 

“I think it’s a fantastic idea,” pre-calculus teacher Amber Bennett said. “They’re learning how to interact socially and they are learning how to count back change. I think it’s a great experience for them.”

In exchange for the fake money, the students would custom decorate cookies in a lesson designed to help prepare them for life after high school.

“I was really excited that they’re learning a skill that they can use in the real world,” AP Secretary Marilyn Bryant said. “They may be able to get a job in a supermarket or any place where they can kind of work with people and show that they are a part of our society.”