Winterguard kicks off break with NTCA Competition

Emily Vetvick

Winterguard will put their skills to the test on Saturday, March 7, 2020 for the NTCA Competition. JV will begin at 3:50 p.m. and varsity at 8:12 p.m. at South Grand Prairie High School.

Abby Wang, Staff Reporter

Winterguard is spinning into spring break with their NTCA competition at South Grand Prairie High School on Saturday. 

“Our mindset going into this competition is working on our individual achievement, making sure that we know our responsibilities and can do them consistently,” colorguard director Scott Mills said. “This gives us another opportunity to apply everything that we’ve been working on in a performance setting so that ideally when we do go to WGI Southwest, it won’t be the first time we’ve had a chance to apply those higher level performance skills.”

JV will perform their show Like a Bird at 3:50 p.m. and varsity will perform Fall for You later at 8:12 p.m. 

For captain, senior Lauren Hazzard, competitions are a way to demonstrate new skills learned.

“I’m really excited and also kind of sad because it is one of the last competitions that I will get to perform in since I’m a senior,” Hazzard said. “But I’m excited because we have been working really hard lately and we didn’t have a competition this [past] week so I think it will be cool to showcase how much we have improved. We want people to see how we come together as a team and it’s not just individuals spinning but a whole team spinning together.”

On Saturday, the guards will be competing against other Frisco high schools such as Centennial High School and Wakeland High School. 

“The guard has spent a lot of time perfecting the show and making sure we achieve everything we do to the highest level, while also performing,” junior Arden Radford said via text. “I am looking forward to competing again, [since] we were on hiatus for a few weeks. Overall, I am looking forward to the competition, and hopefully we place [well], but I mostly just want to have fun.”