Redhawks in for a fight against the Independence Knights

Sarah Boutouis

Junior, Emerie Jones runs across the field with the ball. Both boy’s and girl’s team play the Knights Friday with the boys at home and the girls away.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Both soccer teams have the chance to move up in the District 9-5A standings on Friday night against the Independence Knights as the boys’ team seeks to defend their home turf, while the girls’ team takes to the road. 

Squaring off against the first place Knights who are 13-0-1 in district play, junior Summer Knox isn’t letting the Knights undefeated district record intimidate her game.

“Tonight we expect to see them start very fast and very aggressive,” Knox said. “We are working on coming out stronger and faster than them so we can hopefully score early in the game.”

A win over Independence would give the boys’ team 17 points and allow them to move into a tie with the Knights.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t able to play against them the first time around so all I really expect to see tonight from them is a strong defense,” sophomore Evan Moros said. “Also tonight I hope to show them that we have improved a lot from the last time we played them and that we’ll play our hearts out every minute to get a win against them.