Prom still up in the air

Neha Perumalla

Due to COVID-19, e-learning has been extended and all in person activities have been suspended until April 3. Prom will not be held on April 3, a decision has yet to be made.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

For many high school seniors, prom is a night where many students go all out, spending hundreds of dollars on the annual high school event.

However with COVID-19 on the rise, prom is indefinitely postponed.

“Senior prom will not occur on April 4th,” principal Ashley Rainwater wrote in an email. “We are exploring many possibilities to celebrate our seniors.”

The virus is taking away from senior Ashleigh Rose’s high school experience.

“It’s definitely very disappointing to know that prom could be canceled,” senior Ashleigh Rose said. “Even aside from the money that I spent on my dress because it’s an experience that I could really only have once in high school. Additionally, prom is like the landmark of finishing high school with close friends and people that you have grown up with so it is very sad to think that i might miss out on that experience. I chose my dress because it’s different from other dresses I’ve seen before and the color is very unique. I really hope prom doesn’t get cancelled because I have been looking forward to it since forever and I don’t want all the money and planning that has been put in to go in vain.”

Stores like Terry Costa and WhatchamaCallit Boutique are one of the many places girls find their prom dress, however most sales are final. And while some businesses are loosening their refund policies, Terry Costa does not plan on doing so.

“Unfortunately we will not be changing our return policy,” Terry Costa store owner Tina Loyd  said. “We have been open for 36 years and we are sorry, however we would like to stay open for prom next year.”

Rainwater believes prom is still up in the air.

“A decision about prom has not been made,” Rainwater said.  “We are in close communication with the W hotel. We understand that students are concerned and want to be able to make plans.  As soon as we know, we will pass the information along.”