Schools remain closed for rest of school year

Emily Vetvick

As school cafeterias remain empty for the first three weeks, FISD’s Child Nutrition Department has come up with a way to ensure all students have lunches.

Despite hopes of school reopening before the fall, Governor Greg Abbott announced on Friday that schools across the state will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

“The team of doctors advising us have determined it would be unsafe to allow students to gather at schools for the foreseeable future,” Abbott said at a press conference.

Overseeing secondary education in the state, the Texas Education Agency will provide school districts will more details in the coming days. 

“[Texas Education Agency] fully supports the governor’s actions and continues to work closely with districts across the state to ensure students are getting what they need: meals, dedicated efforts to keep kids feeling safe and connected during these times, and support so students can continue to learn and grow academically,” the agency said in a statement.

While Abbott closed in-person school for the rest of the year, Frisco ISD will continue with eLearning instruction for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. 

With many questions arising regarding belongings on campus and graduation ceremonies, FISD is working on alternatives and solutions in the coming weeks.

Playgrounds and other district facilities will remain closed.