Students stay in touch with Netflix party

Netflix Party

As many campus organizations have had all their social events cancelled, Redhawks have been finding other ways to connect virtually. Orchestra students have turned to Netflix Party as one way to make up for socials.

Abby Wang, Staff Reporter

In order to promote self-distancing, Netflix launched a Chrome extension called Netflix Party that allows users to simultaneously stream videos with their friends and chat via the chat box.

Netflix Party has allowed me to watch movies with my friends, spend[ing] time with them while doing something entertaining,” junior Urja Joshi said via text. “I can also keep in contact with them through the chat option, so I’m not just watching a movie on my own while my friends are watching it in their respective homes; we can collaborate and talk too.”

For students that are part of campus’ orchestra, orchestra officers organized a Netflix Party social to watch The Little Prince.

“It’s one thing to watch a movie alone but it’s another to be able to talk with your friends about it in the chat, so it makes super fun,” junior Lauren Grissom said via text. “We were able to make jokes and mess around just as if we were together in real life.  In orchestra, the officers and directors sent out the link to The Little Prince at around 6:00 pm, and we all connected up to watch it. It was really simple and quick to hop on, and the movie was a good choice.”

Streaming platforms such as Netflix allow students to relax during the transition to E-school. For junior Sasha Cornelius, quarantine gives her more time to relax.

“Using Netflix during quarantine is way easier for me because I actually have the time,” Cornelius said via text. “Before it was school, color guard, sleep, eat. So I have the time now to catch up on my shows and binge watch all my favorites without having to go anywhere and forget what happens in episode 2.”