Keeping your mind and body healthy

Julia Savage

During this period filled with uncertainty and instability, Wingspan’s Jordan Battey stresses the importance of staying healthy both mentally and physically.

Jordan Battey, Guest Contributor

For the last few months, the world has set their every focus on safety- safety of others, safety of ourselves- but does safety hold any importance without the assurance of stability? Stability of mind, spirit, and body has never been more important, as COVID-19 is not just attacking our respiratory systems, but our minds as well. 

I have been struggling with mental health during these stay-at-home orders. Staying positive and productive has never felt harder, since I cannot be certain what the next day, month, or year holds. All of my typical schedules have been thrown off, I’m waking up at strange hours, and never seem to stay consistent with my activities. I find myself binging Netflix’s Outer Banks for hours, instead of trying to keep my mind and body healthy. 

I know a ton of my peers are struggling with all-around health as well. For the athletes, like my sister, there is little to no access to training equipment, or space to complete drills. Tennis courts aren’t open, and neither are tracks. Even for an ordinary student like me, it’s been so much harder to be active, especially when I’m in my bed 24/7.

But maybe instead of wasting five hours on Tik Tok, now is the time to work on improving our state of mind and body, however small. I’m not saying to go run five miles or anything. But try a 10 minute workout video while watching Netflix, start journaling when you feel out of control. Invest time into rewarding hobbies. Create art, or pick up reading again, because our health has never been more important. 

But we have to remind ourselves: this abnormality is everyone’s new normal. Every single person is dealing with these crazy, out of whack feelings. Give yourself some grace. 

When it’s hard to stay happy and healthy, remind yourself that all of humanity is with you on that one.