College students hope for in-person classes in the fall

Senior Kennedy Williams visited the University of North Texas in the fall, now she is ready to become an eagle in August. However with COVID-19 cutting the school year short, some are in fear of the fall semester going online as well.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

Colleges and universities across the state and country closed their doors in favor of online learning for the remainder of the academic year in April, leaving some to question whether in-person classes and residential life will be suspended through the fall semester

Senior and future University of Arkansas student Celia Abdallah hopes it doesn’t come to that. 

“I really hope that it doesn’t reach the point to where we would have to start school online because I’ve been looking forward to being in Fayetteville in the fall and getting to start the actual college experience,” Abdallah said. “I also think learning would be a little more difficult online vs. in person.”

Nevertheless, Abdallah sees it as understandable for campus doors to remain closed. 

“I think there definitely are benefits to having fall classes online such as it being overall safer with the virus and it would give us enough time to flatten the curve and not risk contracting it,” she said. “Unfortunately there is the possibility of cases spiking up again since everyone tends to be in such close proximity at a college campus, so it would be understandable if we didn’t have classes in person at first.”

The in-person college experience is irreplaceable for senior and future University of Texas at Austin student Tristian Maravilla. 

“I really hope that fall semester is back to normal. A big part of college is meeting people and experiencing college life and you can’t get that at home,” Maravilla said. “There would be no benefits [to online learning] in my opinion, so if it is safe, I hope things return to normal come fall. [Online learning] cannot replace a college education and definitely cannot replace the life experience gained.” 

For current UT Dallas freshman and former Redhawk Sarah Kleyman, the online experience has been a challenge. 

“It has been very hard to stay motivated in online classes,” Kleyman said. “Just having online classes for one to two months online was already so hard that an entire semester online seems draining. I also would hate to miss all of the sorority events that my sorority has planned in the fall.”  

However, Kleyman sees the benefits of online learning in terms of flexibility. 

“Online classes give students the advantage of being able to manage their time the way they want to,” Kleyman said. “For students who have jobs, this can provide more flexible hours. There is also more time to sleep in and run errands and fitting school into personal schedules instead of having to make personal schedules fit around school. Most exams are now open note since professors know that students have more access to different resources from home. That has been helpful in not having to study as much.” 

Closed campuses have also caused a shift in living arrangements and financial requirements for Kleyman and her peers. 

“Students who live on campus were required to move out and got part of their housing fees refunded,” Kleyman said. “Students who bought parking permits on campus also got part of that price refunded to them. I live in an off-campus apartment and they have not been waiving any fees or lowering rent which has been frustrating because I have been spending more time at my mom’s house than in the apartment because being alone for so long can be draining. My closest friends live in the Woodlands and Round Rock and the ones that have apartments here have had to break their lease because they moved back home.”