Students in transportation bind go online

Uber offers an alternative way to get around

Getting a ride from Uber is a quick process as users can pull up the app and request a ride. For some students on campus, its an alternative mode of transportation.

Courtesy of Uber Press Kit

Getting a ride from Uber is a quick process as users can pull up the app and request a ride. For some students on campus, it’s an alternative mode of transportation.

Winter is here and more students are starting to become creative in getting a ride home to avoid having to walk in the cold or take a crowded bus. For some students in a bind for transportation, Uber is a growing solution for those who can afford to pay for a ride.

“They’re a lot nicer than buses, a lot more sanitary, a lot nicer people,” junior Jordan Gleason said. “They’re very quick, and they get you where you need to go. They’re usually like everywhere, so it is easy to find get one.”

I just need to get where I need to go.

— junior Laura Durham

Students are using Uber as a source of quick transportation.

“I just need to get where I need to go,” junior Laura Durham said. “You can just call them and wait for about five minutes.”

With one tap to ride, Uber uses a phone’s GPS to detect location and connects you with the nearest available driver. Along with easy access, the prices are usually affordable.

“The minimum cost is like $3.50 and however long your drive is then it goes up from there,” Gleason said.

Along with a ride, some Uber vehicles also go out of their way to make passengers comfortable by offering snacks, drinks or other treats.

I would hope students would be super smart about that.

— assistant principal Cindi Osborne

“One time I got in this Uber and it had like a compartment with some chips, some gum, and some mints, and they also let us use the aux coard,” Gleason said. “They’re really nice.”

While students who take Uber may think highly of it, parents also think it’s a good idea, to a certain extent.

“I think Uber is a great way for my daughter to get home if she needs a ride,” parent Dylan Gleason said. “There’s no screening process for drivers therefore it relies on one’s good faith and driving experience to get the passenger home.”

Although some may not have any concerns about a student using Uber, school administrators hope students are careful.

“I guess it’s part of the world we live in, but it concerns me that to have students traveling with people that they don’t know, but if that’s a situation that they have set up with their parents and their parents know anything about it, then I guess that’s a family decision,” Assistant Principal Cindi Osborne said. “I haven’t even thought about that. You know you hear the horror stories of the things that have happened and such effect that makes me kind of nervous, especially when they’re traveling by themselves. I would hope students would be super smart about that and it could be a lot safer to travel with a friend, if you’re going to do that, or to catch a ride with somebody.”

Although there are some negative experiences passengers have had, Uber can be a reliable, convenient and cheap alternative for some students.

“I am able to get a ride to where I need to go in a hurry without worrying about added costs or slow service,” Gleason said. “I do recommend the service to other students for that reason.”

Would you feel comfortable taking Uber to or from school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.