Health science students back at CTE for first in-person classes since March

The+CDC+has+implemented+new+guidelines+for+self-isolation+after+a+positive+COVID019+test.+In+her+weekly+blog%2C+VIral+Thoughts%2C+staff+reporter+Haille+Hughes+shares+her+thoughts.++

The CDC has implemented new guidelines for self-isolation after a positive COVID019 test. In her weekly blog, VIral Thoughts, staff reporter Haille Hughes shares her thoughts.

Ana Cuen, Managing Editor

After more than five months of empty hallways, CTE health science students are the first ones back on a Frisco ISD campus, as their in-person classes began this week through the Collin College Dual Credit program.

With internships and clinical rotations being at the basis of their curriculum, teachers appreciate the extra week to begin their hands-on learning.  

“I think it is important to come back because we’re hands-on,” health science clinicals instructor Suzaane Altaan said. “It’s really hard to teach someone a skill by just showing. You could watch all the videos you want all day long, but to actually do it and go, ‘Oh, now I understand why we do it this way or that way, or it’s easier to do it this way. Or like in my mind I had it it was going to be this way but it’s actually this way’ I think is necessary for the students.” 

Though beneficial for the class, students like senior Megan Gi are hesitant to come back so early. 

“I am kind of scared because we’re like the guinea pigs of the group, so if anything goes wrong, it’ll most likely impact us the most,” Gi said. “But I hope that we get to do as much lab and in-person experience as possible because health science classes especially need that in-person connection to be successful in the work field.”

However, senior Peace Dennen enjoys being back in class for his senior year, even if it looks different. 

“I was happy to see everyone again and actually begin senior year,” he said. “But it was strange that everyone was wearing masks.”

To ensure the safety of all staff and students, sanitation and safety regulations were followed. 

“They did everything exactly what the CDC required and also the state laws, who are keeping the masks on the face the whole time, cleaning the areas, staying apart. So, I think they did a good job in that part,” pharmacology instructor Hatem Aboalam said. “And remember, this is a health and science class, so you’re in the medical field among patients anyway when you work. You have to take your precautions, but expect some risks to come with it.”