Choir adjusts to virtual learning

The+annual+UIL+choir+performances+are+soon+approaching+for+choir+students.+However%2C+due+to+COVID-19+restrictions%2C+students+will+record+their+performances+and+submit+them%2C+rather+than+perform+them+live.+

Kasey Harvey

The annual UIL choir performances are soon approaching for choir students. However, due to COVID-19 restrictions, students will record their performances and submit them, rather than perform them live.

Ananda Ghoshal, Staff Reporter

Kicking off the new school, Redhawk students are completing their first three weeks of classes virtually. Although virtual learning has brought challenges to many classes, some choir students feel learning virtually may make them lose out on the experience of performing in a group.

“The problems or difficulties I personally have faced was not being able to finish the experience of the choir I was looking forward to,” senior Amir Azadi said. “I was ready to come back to choir, full of energy, and looking forward to everything planned this year, but unfortunately, not all of us will be able to make new friends and get to know the people in each of our sections.

Junior Misganna Tegene says that because students are used to trying to blend and sing cohesively, the biggest challenge will be to improve their singing.

“For me, the biggest thing with having to do choir over Zoom is that it’s harder to absorb critiques on our singing,” she said. “Normally, we get advice and critiques in person and go over how to make those changes, but I think by remembering past critiques, a lot of us can still independently improve.”

Aware of the difficulties that may come with conducting a choir virtually, choir teacher Toni Ugolini is coming up with plans along the way to simulate the choir experience online. 

Choir Leadership Panel officer Megan Guidry says that Ugolini’s plans are starting to make virtual choir more reminiscent of an in-person choir.

“I think this year, choir virtual choir will be heavily focused on individual improvement because we can’t hear how we sound together,” Guidry said. “However, we often divide into breakout rooms to talk with other members or section-mates about our singing goals, how we’re doing or to go over any music we need to. This helps to build the missing sense of community that is reminiscent of classes in person.”