Serving up the start of school sports, tennis takes on Centennial

Amelia Jauregui

The Redhawk tennis team heads to Centennial High School on Tuesday, to face the Titans in their last district matchup. They are coming off an 11-8 loss to Lebanon Trail, but feel ready to take on the Titans.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

In years past, the fall sports season on campus would be in full swing by early September, but with the start of all fall sports delayed to COVID-19 concerns, the tennis team is the first in action as the Redhawks travel to Centennial High School for a District 9-5A match that begins Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.

“I’m really excited about the season especially since there’s a lot of new people on the team,” Mila Dopson said. “I’m also curious about how everything is going to work because of COVID.”

Beyond the global pandemic, the team is also in a period of transition as the team welcomes a new cast of teammates.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how we compare to the rest of the district this year,” senior Luke Blasingame said. “We lost a lot of seniors from last year, but I think we have a good shot this year to go far.”

Although the season started later than normal, players such as Dopson see this as an advantage.  

“I think the push back helped the team,” Dopson said. “We’ve had more time to practice and meet our team.”