Opinion: Be smart, stay home

Megan Lin says students should avoid school if sick

The number of parents opting out of vaccinations is one the rise with the rate of students in FISD who had filed for vaccine exemptions at 2.05 percent in 2015-16 which is more than double the state average.

Megan Lin

Megan Lin, Guest Contributor

Although it seems illogical, sick students continuing to attend school is a common sight nowadays. When asked why, most of them respond, “I’m scared of having a lot of makeup work.”

It’s understandable, since each class is 90 minutes long and usually filled with a lot of material. Sometimes an entire topic is covered in one class period. Missing just that one class could mean missing out on the material and lecture that is essential to success on quizzes and tests.

Not only that, a lot of homework could accompany that lesson, and if students weren’t there to listen to the teaching, how are they expected to complete the homework over it?

Many teachers’ makeup work policy states that the absent student has one additional weekday for each missed day to turn in assigned work. For example, say a student was absent Monday, and returns to school on Tuesday. Their make-up work is due at the beginning of each class on Wednesday. It seems a little tight, since the student would also have the homework from Tuesday to do on top of the makeup work. And that’s assuming they understand the work that they missed.

At the same time, usually good communication between the student and teacher helps. If the student is being proactive and emailing their teachers asking for their missed work, teachers would be more lenient and understanding. Also, maintaining schoolwork when you’re not sick also contributes. If you normally don’t turn things in on time, the teacher may not be willing to be work with you. If you’re on top of things, they’re likely to cut you some slack.

With all this being said, students shouldn’t come to school if they know that their illness is severe or contagious. It’s dangerous, as it can cause widespread illness if it spreads. Other healthy students shouldn’t have to suffer because of one’s poor decision to attend school.

Students can be proactive. To prevent illnesses as best as possible, students should be maintaining their health and managing their diet and sleep cycle as well, as impossible as it sounds. Washing hands frequently also helps.

All in all, if both sides do their part, the problem of sick students still attending school can be solved. If students manage their health and  communicate well with teachers and in turn, if teachers can be reasonable, students shouldn’t choose to come to school sick over staying at home and recovering.