Rushing to change, athletics adjust routines

New social distancing proceeders are put into place for the locker room. This includes staggered and shorten changing times for each sport, along with tapped areas to change in.

Dea Divi

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

After about an hour of working out before school or during class, sweaty athletes pile into their locker rooms to shower and get ready for the rest of the day. 

But along with everything else this year, this routine isn’t what it used to be. 

We are doing our best to limit close contact by building our protocols around social distancing,” campus athletic coordinator Matt Swinea said. “We have capacity limits for each locker room and achieve that by staggering dressing times.”

This means the time each team had to clean up and change went from about 40 minutes down to just 25 percent of that time per sport.

“I don’t feel that the 10 minutes are enough to change,” sophomore soccer player McKeena Clerkin said. “I find it challenging to get ready in that time but I understand why the limit is put in place.” 

Beyond a reduction in the time each team gets in the locker room and staggered dressing times, social distancing measures have also been implemented.

“We are utilizing PE locker rooms in the gym for more space and have put at least 6 feet between lockers for those that are dressing at any one time,” Swinnea said. “While in the past locker rooms were very social, we monitor and encourage athletes to change and leave as quickly as possible.”