Cross country brings home a mix of results in second meet of the year

Emily Vetvick

Only two athletes competed for the girls in the Cross Country meet on Saturday. Junior Jada Williams was one of the two who fought through the rough course.

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

In their second meet this season, the Redhawks cross country team brought home a 7th place finish for the boys and a 21st place finish for the girls in a meet at Warren Park that featured 5A and 6A schools.

“We were missing a few girls due to other commitments, injuries, and other things so our team was short handed, but the girls that did run competed hard with many setting PRs,” girls’ head coach Khera Vay said via email. “The depth is good and the guys are running pretty consistent mile splits, but we have to work on improvement on the top end so we can break up some of the strong teams in our district.”

Senior Sumukh Satish (16:30.5) led the way for the boys with a 7th place finish, followed by sophomore Andrew Jáuregui (16:45.5) finishing in 10th place.

“The meet went great, at least for the varsity boys,” Jáuregui said via text. “We all did really well at this meet, as most of us ran some of our fastest times. Something to improve on is consistency on our mile splits, although that was tough to do because of the varying hills and terrains of the Warren course.”

The girls finished 21st overall, with junior Jada Williams (20:23.6) taking home 11th place.

“Overall the meet went good and the kids represented Liberty well,” Vay said. “I predict that we will continue to improve and make adjustments we need to to get ready for district.”