Frisco ISD receives Champion Seal by EverFi for Whole Child education

Frisco ISD is hosting a Community Input Meeting on Monday. The meeting provides a dedicated opportunity for parents to discuss any issues they see within the district.

Aaron Boehmer, Editor-in-Chief

To know every student by name and need is Frisco ISD’s mission statement. And the district just got a stamp of approval, earning a Champion Seal for its commitment to whole-child education by EverFi, a national digital education organization. 

The organization offers subject matter and curriculum for financial literacy, social-emotional learning, health and wellness, inclusion, and college and career readiness. EverFi subject matter experts and curriculum experts determined FISD met goals such as a well-trained staff, diverse instruction methods, and meeting curriculum standards to earn the award. 

Using EverFi to further its Whole Child initiative, the district has engaged students in digital education tools that have led to various opportunities for students, such as character building with Dallas Cowboys players

“FISD educators are dedicated to teaching the Whole Child because it not only impacts how healthy and productive students are during their time with FISD, but also their well-being and success far beyond the K-12 years,” FISD Safe Schools Coordinator James Caldwell said in a district news release. “Establishing healthy behaviors during childhood is more effective than trying to change unhealthy behaviors during adulthood.”

Senior Annelise Best believes that the award is warranted, and that the district provides a holistic education to its students. 

“I really think for the most part FISD strives to provide a holistic, including social-emotional,  education, which is evident in the district’s encouragement of creative and collaborative learning, and the elimination of rank,” Best said. “There’s always room for improvement though, but I think FISD is really trying to find the best educational environment for growth.” 

According to senior Kameron Askew, room for improvement may be as simple as more positivity on campus.  

“I’ve felt teachers and administration know each student and actively work to make connections with the students here on campus,” Askew said. “However, last year it felt a bit less that way with the whole ID situation. Every day coming into school it was always ‘where’s your ID’ rather than a ‘good morning’ to every student. That first connection in the morning is so vital to be positive because it impacts your whole day.”

The district’s Whole Child Model operates through a Student Health Advisory Council made up of parents, community memes, students, staff that work to improve the health of students and families at the district level, and through a Whole Child Committee that assesses the individual school climate at the campus level. 

“The Whole Child approach to education develops and prepares students for the challenges and opportunities of today and tomorrow,” Managing Director of Guidance and Counseling Services Dr. Stephanie Cook said in the district’s news release. “By addressing students’ comprehensive needs through the shared responsibility of students, families, schools and communities, we aim to continue to engage our community to meet the needs of all our students.

The district hopes to continue to utilize EverFi, such as with the Whole Child Model, to help Frisco students and their education. 

“We are thrilled to receive this honor from EverFi and look forward to our continued partnership that helps our students grow,” Dr. Cook said.