Feature Athlete: Grace Deshetler

Grade: 10 | Sport: Cross Country

From+cross+country+to+soccer%2C+sophomore+Grace+Deshetler+gets+her+steps+in+as+she+often+has+practices+for+both+sports+on+the+same+day.+As+a+freshman%2C+Deshetler+made+it+to+the+state+cross+country+meet+and+she+is+hoping+for+a+return+appearance+this+year.+

Haille Hughes

From cross country to soccer, sophomore Grace Deshetler gets her steps in as she often has practices for both sports on the same day. As a freshman, Deshetler made it to the state cross country meet and she is hoping for a return appearance this year.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

Wingspan: Why did you start running?

Deshetler: “I started running cross country in 8th grade.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about running?

Deshetler: “My favorite part about running is the excitement you get when you pass someone.”

Wingspan: What are the biggest challenges you face?

Deshetler: “The biggest challenge I face is making sure that I am pushing myself in both soccer and cross country, but still able to perform to my best ability in meets.”

Wingspan: Favorite pre-meet meal?

Deshetler: “My favorite pre-meet meal is a big bowl of spaghetti.” 

Wingspan: Do you have any superstitions or pre-game rituals?

Deshetler: “My pre-meet ritual is that I have to be in the back of the group during warm ups. Not sure why, but I have to be behind everyone else, and able to see what’s in front of me. “

Wingspan: What are your goals for running this season?

Deshetler: “My goal is to be able to return to state this year. “

Wingspan: How often do you run?

Deshetler: “I run every day, usually twice a day if you count running that is done at soccer. “

Wingspan: Do you find it challenging to go from cross country practice to soccer practice right after?

Deshetler: “It definitely takes a toll on my legs going directly from one sport to another, especially since they both use a lot of the same muscles. I am in really good shape though, I just have to make sure I’m taking care of my body and recovering well”.