COVID-19 causes commotion for student-run businesses

provided by Emily Chladny

Many students on campus pursue their passions in the form of their own businesses. Given the pandemic, such student-run businesses have adapted to the situation in different ways.

Hannah Beeler, Staff Reporter

From custom designed shoes to one of a kind stickers, many students have created their own businesses to be able to do something they enjoy while making some money at the same time. However COVID-19 has caused owners to have to adjust the way they create and sell their products.

“I don’t feel comfortable risking getting sick by going to the store to buy more supplies,” Macy Designs owner senior Macy Jackson said via text. “This has caused me to have to delay some of my projects because I’ll have to order more supplies online. Instead of just going to a store that day and buying a sweatshirt, I’ll sometimes have to wait two weeks.To overcome this, I’ve been buying my supplies in bulk, so there isn’t a delay with every project. Also, When I give a sweatshirt in person I’ll wear a mask and try to distance myself.”

Between the months of February and April the number of active small businesses in the U.S. dropped by 22 percent and it has continued to stay low in the past few months. 

“I stopped running my business due to the coronavirus because I don’t want to risk my family’s health,” Yazzy’s Yummies owner junior Yasameen Ayub said via text. “Both my grandparents and cousins are at high risk.”

While some students have decided to halt their pre-existing business others have used their extra time off during the pandemic to start new businesses.

“I actually started my business in quarantine because I found myself having more time to put towards painting,” Chladny Customs owner senior Emily Chladny said via text. “I have had to be more cautious when it comes to the pick up and delivery, becoming touch-less when my buyers would pick up the shoes. I leave out the shoes on my porch for the buyers to pick up.

I also refrain from working on the shoes until three days after the shoes are delivered to me. This allows any virus to die off on the leather surface.”

Freshman Sophie Yang, who runs Sophie’s Sticker Co. on Etsy believes that there have been both some negative and positive aspects of running a business during the pandemic.

“Some negatives include having to take more safety precautions that may make preparing the orders take longer and the postal service may delay some orders because of COVID-19,” Yang said via text. “Some positives are that many more people have turned to social media, technology, and online stores during the pandemic, which helps direct more traffic to my shop.”