Offense piles up points, but late stop by defense leads to another Redhawks win

Friday night the football won against the Memorial Warriors after a late start in the first half. The teams defense stopped the Warriors the second half only allowing them to score once.

Hallie Hunter

Friday night the football won against the Memorial Warriors after a late start in the first half. The team’s defense stopped the Warriors the second half only allowing them to score once.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

Friday Night under the Toyota Stadium lights, the football team had their closest game of the season against Memorial High School. Trailing most of the game, the Redhawks managed their first lead late in the game before running out the clock to win 58-51, giving the team a 3-1 record (2-0 in District 7-5A). 

In dynamic situations like that you just have to “keep pedaling the bike”, in other words, keep playing and have faith that things will eventually turn your way,” head coach Matt Swiena said. “If you stop pedaling the bike, you’re going to fall for sure.”

With the Warriors scoring 44 points in the first half, it was the Redhawk defense that stepped up in the second half. Holding Memorial to seven points, and making a late goal line stand to seal the win for the team.

“The 4th down stop was huge. The defense was really in a bad spot all night, with three of their scores coming off special teams issues,” Swinnea said. “Their backs were against the wall and the fact that they kept fighting really paid off in the end.”