Cheerleaders extend sport support

Cheerleaders are a usual sight at football and basketball games, but this winter they are also attending swim meets and wrestling meets.

Ariela Rodrigues

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

When one thinks of sports the first thing that usually comes to mind is football or basketball. They are two of the most popular sports and you can expect to see cheerleaders there, but the school’s cheerleaders are changing that. Branching out to new sports, some members of the teams are now showing up at both swimming and wrestling meets.

“I’m really excited I mean I really like to show support for all the athletes throughout the school and getting to go to these different events,” senior varsity cheer captain Brennan Gillian said. “I think it’ll be really cool for us just to kind of show that those sports do matter and we do care for those athletes and hope they do well. We really do support the entire school and we are leaders at this school and we want to show that through our support through other sports.”

Being able to show their support for all school activities is something many are the cheerleaders are excited about.

“We’re here to support everyone, all sports, all activities and it’s just fun,” sophomore Ali Smilie said. “Hopefully if they’re nervous, if they’re not having a good meet or whatever maybe us cheering them will help them get the extra boost they need to perform better or just give them confidence in what they are doing.”

For the cheer coaches, it’s something that just makes sense.

“I think it’s just good to have good school spirit and our cheerleaders are just supporting all the different sports so I think it’s just good for the school to have support and people at the swim meets,” freshman cheer coach Kathryn Schalla said. “They actually requested for us to cheer for them because they are doing really well this year and so we just wanted to do it since they are doing so well because it’s important for us to be fair to everyone.”