Ceramics students craft original teapots

• Ceramics students continue in their three-week-long project, which focuses on crafting chips and salsa bowls.

• Ceramics students create original teapots as part of a project for the class.

A cup of tea may not be how many students start their day, but ceramic students have recently been starting their days attempting to craft teapots with their developing sculpting skills.

“It teaches craftsmanship,” art teacher Fred Rodriguez said. “Which for me, would be the most important part of ceramics. If you can build something that has a lot of detail and build it to where it can survive the kiln and all phases then that’s the most important thing in ceramics.”

Some students are finding that patience is required in order to await results in a process that must be followed precisely.  

“It’s taught me that you really have to work at it to make it look good,” junior Cali Edmunds said. “Otherwise it’s not gonna turn out the right way you want it to.”

Many agree that the project was a bit harder than they anticipated, and they weren’t always to achieve the final product like they wished to.

It teaches craftsmanship, which for me, would be the most important part of ceramics.

— Fred Rodriguez

“I think it was really interesting,” senior Emilie Watkins said. “It was also very challenging especially since you could have wanted to make something, like in my case, which ended up not being a very good teapot. You want it to look good but it also can’t be functional because you wanted it to look good.”

This project differs greatly from other ceramics projects in that students can take it home and use it in their kitchens rather than having it sit on a shelf.

“We build things that are artistic and creative,” Rodriguez said. “But to have something that you can take home that is functional is pretty cool.”