NHS hosts homeless supply drive

From social media posts to news stories, younger generations appear to have taken an interest in environmental sustainability. One movement in particular, thrifting, has taken popularity among the youth. What was now seen as a symbol of poverty is now seen as a fashion statement.

Ana Cuen, Managing Editor

National Honor Society is hosting a homeless supply drive through Sunday, where all students can donate supplies including new/gently used blankets, clothes and shoes. Items can be dropped off at 6504 Basilwood Drive Frisco, TX 75035, and all donations will then be taken to JCPower for distribution. 

“We decided to host the drive to create an opportunity for students to directly help people in need.” NHS vice president senior Ariana Kahn said. “We also know that volunteering is much more difficult this year due to Covid, so we wanted to have a way for virtual and in person students to safely get hours.”

Students like senior Caitlyn Brown decided to participate as helping those around the community is something she actively seeks to do. 

“I donated blankets and clothes because I really want to help any way I can,” Brown said. “Being in NHS since junior year and participating in volunteer organizations activities throughout high school has enabled me to understand the power we all have in making a difference around us.”

As the organization is dedicated to excellence and service, NHS plans on expanding their impact beyond the walls of Liberty. 

“I hope that this drive can help the homeless community during these tough times,” Kahn said. “One of our big missions in NHS this year is to have more meaningful volunteering experiences that impact our community and hopefully this drive does just that.”