• Redhawks UIL Science takes 1st place as a team at state
  • Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

View All
May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

May 4 election coming up on Saturday

Aditi Darodkar
Voting for the May 4 election begins Saturday and includes City Council and School Board members. Eligible voters can go to one of the voting locations to submit their ballot.

Elections are taking place on Saturday at various locations across the city concerning Frisco City Council Places 1 and 3; Frisco Independent School District Board of Trustees Places 6 and 7; and two propositions regarding the Frisco Fire Department.

City Council Candidate Overview:

1. Mark Piland (Frisco City Council, Place 1)
    Background:
  • Former Frisco Fire Chief and Emergency Management Coordinator
  • Several decades of experience in governance and emergency management (FEMA, multiple fire chief positions)

Goals:

• Public safety
  • Responsible development and reinvesting in older areas of Frisco
  • Improve citizen representation
  • Transparency and accountability

Interview:

Wingspan: What issues do you believe are important to Frisco citizens?

Piland: “Lately, when I’ve been talking with Frisco residents, a prevailing concern emerges: a large portion of citizens feel that their local government could use a bit more openness and dialogue with our residents. The ongoing Universal Project rollout and the decision to exclude an animal shelter vote from last year’s bond election have people wondering if the council is really listening to them.”

Wingspan: How do you plan to tackle these issues if elected?

Piland: “As Frisco City Council member for Place 1 in Frisco, my main goal is to always support our residents and put their needs first, even above projects. I’m certainly pro-development, but I believe it’s possible for both projects and what the people want, to work together for the best results. Frisco has become a large community making it difficult to communicate with everyone. Similar to how I ran my campaign, I plan to consistently meet with residents. Rather than waiting for concerns to come up at council meetings, I want to be proactive and regularly talk with everyone in our neighborhoods all year round. They won’t have to come to me—I would prefer to come to their community meetings to listen to their concerns.”

Wingspan: Do you have any specific priorities or ideas you would want to implement?

Piland: “First things first, we really need to make sure that Public Safety gets the recognition it deserves as the number one priority on the City’s Top Ten List that the mayor and council put out every year. We can’t just assume it’s there; it needs to be listed as number one. The safety of our citizens and our employees will always be first and foremost on my mind. We also need to address campaign finance reform. Right now, it seems like special interests are having too much say in how the city runs. I believe this would be the first step to preserving our city as we continue to grow. Regardless of what happens with Propositions A & B, one of my top priorities will be to mend the City’s relationship with our firefighters, many who are part of the Frisco Firefighter Association. As far as I know, I’m the only candidate in this race with direct experience in civil service and collective bargaining, so I understand how these processes work firsthand. In negotiations, there are always things that one side or the other might not like or agree on, but it’s important that we talk about these things, and that starts with better communication and building better relationships.”

Wingspan: Why did you run for election?

Piland: “Undoubtedly, Frisco is a remarkable city. Nevertheless, many citizens, myself included, feel frustrated with the current approach to governance. It seems like the city sometimes jumps into big decisions without really listening to what we think first. It’s important to take a step back, take our time, and really think through all the options before making any big commitments. Residents should get to have a say in what’s going on, especially when it comes to planning for what’s next for our city, instead of just finding out about it online after it’s already been decided.”

Wingspan: What do you value in a leader?

Piland: “John C. Maxwell always said, “One is too small of a number to achieve greatness.” It takes a team to achieve greatness. Leaders do just that; they lead. Experience and understanding of others’ feelings are also important qualities for being a good leader. A good leader takes ownership of their actions and decisions, recognizing both successes and setbacks as opportunities for growth. You will often find good leaders are drawn to having a sense of duty, putting the well-being of others above their own interests.”

Wingspan: Why is it important for young people to vote?

Piland: “It’s important for young people to vote because it shapes the future they will inherit. It is their community, and by getting involved early, they can make a difference in how things are run in their city, state, and even nation. Young people have great ideas and different perspectives that could help make their government better. Additionally, when they choose to vote, it shows they care and they want to be a part of the decision making process that will have an affect and make a change.”

• John Keating (Frisco City Council, Place 1) – INCUMBENT
    Background
    • Member of Frisco City Council since 2010 and currently mayor pro tem
      • Place 4: 2010 – 2016
      • Place 1: 2017 – present 
    • Former senior counterintelligence officer for US Army
      • Received congressional veteran commendation (2017)
      • Valor Leadership Award from Pepsi Frito-Lay (2016)
    • Member of the Frisco Veteran Advisory Council 

Goals:

• Increase public safety and ensure police officers have necessary resources
  • Reduce tax rates and allocate tax money responsibly
  • Add new jobs for a diversified workforce
  • Transparency and accountability
  • Improve infrastructure and pilot new technology-based solutions
  • Promote diversity and aid veterans

Mr. Keating did not respond to Wingspan’s requests for an interview.

• John Redmond (Frisco City Council, Place 3)

Background:

• President and Co-Founder of InspectIR Systems, a company that develops systems like a COVID-19 breathalyzer test
  • Member of the National Society of Black Engineers, National Society of Black MBAs, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, National Society of Hispanic MBAs, ITSMF, and Hispanic IT Executive Council

Goals:

• Increase accountability relating to the spending of tax dollars
  • Improve public safety by supporting police officers and firefighters
  • Improve infrastructure to meet the needs of Frisco’s rapid growth
  • Improve citizen representation

Interview:

Redmond: “Frisco citizens, both young and old, want a high quality of life.  We live in a fantastic area and many of the “issues” are based on traditional items associated with a high growth area:  traffic, density, other infrastructure (water, sewer, sidewalks), public safety and high taxes. The[re] are some specific ‘deals’ and developments that have irked individuals as it relates to their specific part of town or things that have been promised, but not yet executed (e.g. Grand Park).  There is also an undercurrent of quiet frustration that our city leaders are not listening to us…and that covers many, many topics.”

Redmond: “My plan is to actively engage citizens.  I will do this by going to them “where they are”…this could be high school groups after school, it could be Home Owners Association meetings, it could be electronic/online town halls using tools we are comfortable and familiar with, but what it can NOT be is passive.  It has [to] be proactive and more frequent.  Allowing individuals an opportunity to understand and weigh in creating a dialogue is important!”

Redmond: “I believe there are some financial items which could be addressed immediately.  I also know that there is a long-standing ask for an animal shelter…and the citizens deserve an opportunity to have their voices heard on this.”

Wingspan: Why did you run for election?

Redmond: “I have always gravitated towards leadership.  I also believe in being intentional and holding people (and being held) accountable.  If you see something you have an obligation to try and make it better.  Frisco is indeed a great place to live, but it could be better and I want to see that together…so, I am running on that premise.”

Redmond: “Honesty, trust, and integrity…these are all imperative, so that we know a leader will do the right thing every time.  Empathy and the ability to connect with others.  A vision and the ability to inspire others.  A good or great leader leads by example and fosters collaboration and an environment or culture for growth and success for all.”

Redmond: “We have a representative government…and if people do not vote…they are abdicating their voice to others.  Municipal elections matter because they are closest to home.  You can see an impact…you can change things important to you.  Young people have so many pressures on them (real, perceived and self-subjected), but adding another perspective allows for a better/best solution to come into the light and just maybe this can alleviate some of those pressures and concerns.  Lastly, how are you supposed to learn or grow if you do not participate?”

• Angelia Pelham (Frisco City Council, Place 3)

Background:

• Former senior executive in HR Management at PepsiCo, Frito-Lay, Walt Disney World, Main Event, and Yum Brands, among others
  • Currently owns a small business, Real-Talk Executive Coaching and Mentoring
  • Board member of portfolio companies of Great Point Partners
  • Board member of Medical City Frisco & Plano
  • Former board member of Hope’s Door New Beginnings
  • Founded and is current chair of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Oration Competition
  • Member of Frisco City Council since 2021 and currently deputy mayor pro tem

Ms. Pelham did not respond to Wingspan’s requests for an interview.

Propositions on the Ballot:

Proposition A: “Adoption of the fire fighters’ and police officers’ civil service law for the Frisco Fire Department”

This proposition, if passed, would replace current regulations and policies of the Frisco Fire Department in favor of the systems outlined in Texas’s civil service law. Potential changes include a different hiring process, requirements for promotions, reasons and punishments for disciplinary issues, etc.

Proposition B: “Adoption of the state law applicable to fire fighters that establishes collective bargaining if a majority of the affected employees favor representation by an employees association, preserves the prohibition against strikes and lockouts, and provides penalties for strikes and lockouts for the Frisco Fire Department.”This proposition, if passed, would enable firefighters to engage in collective bargaining. Collective bargaining, according to the National Labor Relations Board, enables employees to negotiate things like hours, wages, and terms of employment with their employer through a representative, which is typically a union. Essentially, if this proposition was signed into law, it would enable firefighters to negotiate their terms of employment and contract with the Frisco Fire Department through a union. However, as mentioned in the latter half of the proposition, it would still prohibit strikes and lockouts, consistent with state law.