Board of Trustees to discuss rezoning changes for Emerson High School

Trinity Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees meets Monday, where rezoning is likely to get much of the attention.

The public will get a first look at the proposed attendance boundary changes for next year. While there will be some changes to a couple of elementary school zones, the opening of Emerson high school is what will have a direct impact on campus.

“Each fall, Frisco ISD works with an external demographer to receive updated enrollment projections for each campus based on new housing developments and enrollment trends,” FISD spokeswoman Meghan Cone said. “The district considers this information along with current enrollment to determine whether attendance boundary modifications are required for the following school year. When determining what changes are needed, if any, the District evaluates the following factors: capacity, stability, effective utilization of space, proximity and community.

Located just a few miles away at 6300 Collin McKinney Pkwy in McKinney, the new attendance zone for Emerson is expected to take students away from Liberty, as Custer Road will likely be the eastern border of the Redhawks’ zone. Emerson High School will open in August with students from 9th and 10th grade. 

Families that will be impacted by the proposed zoning changes will be contacted by the district via email, with an opportunity for public comment regarding attendance zones during a special board meeting on Dec. 1.

A final decision on attendance zones is expected on Dec. 14. For more information from the district about attendance zones, click here.