Dear Asian Youth makes debut on campus

The Dear Asian Youth organization makes its debut on campus with the goal of giving Asian students a voice. The organization was started in May 2020 by 16year-old Stephanie Hu from Orange County, CA and already has more than 100 chapters worldwide.

Hannah Beeler, Staff Reporter

Asians make up more than 30 percent of the student body on campus and they can bring a diverse amount of culture to campus. Now there’s an organization that aims to give these students a voice: Dear Asian Youth.

“Dear Asian Youth, or DAY, is an online literary magazine dedicated to the Asian narrative as well as a nonprofit organization,” co-chapter lead sophomore Erika Pernis said via text. “DAY aims to empower and increase the political and social engagement of Asian youth in the United States and beyond through activism, education, and events.”

The organization was started in May 2020 by 16year-old Stephanie Hu from Orange County, CA, and already has more than 100 chapters worldwide.

“We started a DAY Chapter at Liberty because we felt that there aren’t a lot of clubs that promote activism and change in our school,” co-chapter lead sophomore Rachel Kim said via text. “Also, we wanted to help educate others to use their voice and embrace their culture.”

Chapter sponsor PAP and AP chemistry teacher Amanda Leung believes the organization will help students to embrace their identities as Asian Americans.

“I decided to sponsor Dear Asian Youth because I think Asian activism is very important. It’s important to be educated about struggles the Asian community has gone through but also celebrate the unique identities we have,” Leung said via email. “I grew up in a very small country town with my family being one of the first Asian families there. It wasn’t always easy attending a school as the only Asian American student. It wasn’t until I grew older that I came to love being ‘different’ and started to celebrate my culture. I’d love to help any youth that is struggling with self-love, as it is something I hold near and dear to my heart.”

Members such as junior Emily Santoso believe that DAY will benefit both the Asian and non-Asian communities on campus.

“I really love what DAY stands for about informing and educating others about the Asian community and making other Asians accept their culture and who they are with love and know that there’s always a community here for them,” junior Emily Santoso said via text. “I believe this organization will benefit others by helping them to accept their culture more and make them proud of being Asian instead of disliking it due to being the minority. I also think that this club will educate others more about the different Asian cultures and how to be respectful to them.”