Mastering their instruments through a screen

Kennedy Williams

Moving onward in the UIL competition season, each band student has been perfecting their solo which they will perform in February and April. For many students who were previously online, the solo contest will be an entirely new experience.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Private lesson instructors are not allowed on campus due to Frisco ISD COVID-19 guidelines, forcing these instructors to adapt and change their lessons to a virtual format.

“I’ve found many positive things about virtual lessons, some of them unexpected. It is wonderful that we now have the technology to have private music lessons online. It is important, especially during this pandemic, to keep students and teachers practicing and interested in music. Because of the nature of internet lessons, I’ve found the pace to be a little slower than in person lessons which has been an unexpectedly good thing for most of my students,” private lesson teacher Ben Fairfield said. “Because some things get lost in translation over the internet, I’ve had to find new ways to explain things and have been able to get students to listen to themselves in new ways that sometimes was not happening in person.

Both the instructors and students believe in person lessons are more helpful for them to improve.

“Personally I prefer in person as opposed to virtual because you establish a better connection between student and teacher making it easier to improve. Although I am not going back in person I believe they should have the option of virtual or in person for those who are interested,” junior Alexander Perales said. “But I would say that both virtual and in person lessons are helpful, but there are some downsides to virtual such as quality of sound or other technical issues.”

Due to the challenges of virtual many people prefer in person.

“There are quite a few negative things about lessons as well, but not as many as I originally thought. By far the biggest negative is in terms of the quality of sound,” Fairfield said. “Of course, there are also things like internet delays in the sound of not only the trumpet but also of the voice. Another big negative is that the brief delay in sound over the internet makes it difficult for me to play with the students and for them to play with me, which is a big teaching tool I use often in person. We have to do virtual lesson things one at a time in a call and response format which works fine.”

According to junior Luke Logan, in person lessons were more productive. However, online classes are thought to be the safer option.

“I like the in person more because I think it is easier and I don’t have to depend on school wifi, I also think that it worked better and we were able to get more done,” Logan said. “I think that it should continue being virtual while COVID lasts but should go back to in person when we go back to normal.”

Although virtual does present some positives in person teaching is preferable.

“Lessons in person are always preferred. That way, both the student and teacher can clearly hear the subtle nuances needed not only in sound quality, but also in terms of articulation, dynamics, and many other fundamental skills,” Fairfield said. “Music is a form of communication and is meant to be both performed and listened to in person.”