Bad weather days may not mean virtual school

Kasey Harvey

With the final days of the school year approaching, students will all have early release on Thursday and Friday. Students will be released at 12:10 p.m.

Athena Tseng, Staff Reporter

With the temperature dropping and winter approaching, some students across the nation are losing the thrill of a snow day with virtual learning but, here in Frisco, that may not be the case if bad weather strikes.

Frisco ISD has spoken with the Texas Education Agency on this topic,” assistant director of communications Meghan Cone said via email. “The District could not transition to virtual instruction as a result of inclement weather because school districts are not authorized to conduct remote learning outside of the pandemic. That time could not be counted toward the state’s required number of instructional minutes. It would require a statute/legislative change.”

Although online learning in Frisco ISD is tied to the COVID-19 pandemic, the district is trying to pursue more implementation for online schooling beyond current circumstances.

Frisco ISD is hoping the legislature will make some changes to provide school districts with greater flexibility to conduct online learning post-COVID,” Cone said via email. “These priorities have been incorporated into our list of priorities for the upcoming session, which begins in January.”