Pen Pal Club makes debut on campus

The new Pen Pal Club has made its debut on campus. Students in the club can write letters to each other while gaining service hours.

Hannah Beeler, Staff Reporter

Most students communicate through text and social media, but the Pen Pal Club hopes to connect with Pen others through letters.

“Pen Pal Club is a club at Liberty where students can earn service hours and meet new people,” vice president junior Kendyl Korth said via text. “The purpose of the club is to bring together students at liberty through the creativity of writing letters.”

Students are paired together by the officers and then are asked to write to each other at least once a month.

“I wanted to start a pen pal club at Liberty as I started getting more into pen-palling over summer due to being quarantined and I wanted to reach out to others and share pen palling with them,” president junior Emily Santos said via text. “I hope that members see the fun and enjoy writing letters to their friends and the joys of creating friendships and increasing their communication skills! I enjoy writing pen pal letters and I hope the members would too.”

Both in-person and virtual students can join by filling out the club’s new member form on their Remind, @lhspen, or their Instagram bio.

“Some challenges we have faced, specifically in the pandemic is figuring out how to include both in-person and virtual students,” secretary junior Vanessa Jara said via text. “But we have opened the club up to both groups of students and are doing our best to include them.”

Many members such as junior Kassidy DeForest look forward to making new friends in a new and different format.

“I joined this club because I wanted to make some new friends and it’s also a creative and fun way to earn service hours,” DeForest said via text. “I would recommend this club to other people because it’s a fun way to meet people. I am super excited to be a part of it and to start writing my letter to my pen pal.”