Dynette Davis sworn in to board, attendance zones modified

New+Board+of+Trustee+member+takes+the+Oath+of+Office+during+a+board+meeting+on+Monday.+Davis+became+the+first+Black+woman+to+serve+on+the+board.++

Screenshot from Dec. 14, 2020 Board of Trustees meeting

New Board of Trustee member takes the Oath of Office during a board meeting on Monday. Davis became the first Black woman to serve on the board.

Aaron Boehmer, Editor-in-Chief

Dynette Davis was sworn in Monday as the first Black woman to serve on the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees in the board’s monthly meeting where various items were finalized, including new attendance zones announced for the 2021-22 school year. 

Nov. 3 marked the moment David won a contested four-way race to fill Place 4, taking home a plurality of 35.86 percent of the vote. Monday, Davis took the Oath of Office and officially became a Board of Trustees member. 

“Just as I promised during my campaign, I will listen to your concerns of our FISD families with an open heart and an open mind,” Davis said in a previous Wingspan article. “From Liberty to Lone Star, Heritage to Hosp, Miller to Mooneyham and everywhere in between, I remain committed to being a champion for all students [and] teachers. Campaigning is not easy. It requires a lot of hard work and sacrifice, not just for the candidate but for our families as well. To my girls, I love you and I thank you for all of your understanding during this incredibly long journey.” 

Additionally, the board made attendance boundary modifications, creating a new zone for Emerson High School and adjustments for Centennial and Heritage High Schools. The approved changes will move some neighborhoods to Independence and Lebanon Trail High Schools as well. 

“These proposed changes address growth in our district while leveraging existing classroom space in schools where enrollment has stabilized or may be declining,” executive director of operations Scott Warstler said in a news release.  “As Frisco ISD gets closer to build out and our growth slows, we expect more of our zoning solutions to be found by maximizing the utilization of open capacity at existing schools rather than new school construction.”

While the district said it must keep an eye on trends, projections, and impacts of COVID-19, it also plans for all students to eventually return to in-person learning and remains focused on maintaining small school size. 

“Frisco ISD community has repeatedly reaffirmed its desire for smaller high schools that provide a wealth of opportunities and experiences for students, and projections show both Centennial and Heritage were at risk for moving to 6A in 2022 without a zoning modification,” the district said in a news release.

Students impacted by the rezoning with an older high school sibling can choose to go to their sibling’s current school or their newly zoned campus, which is a change from the district’s initial zoning proposal. 

“This flexibility is not intended to set a new precedent, as the opportunity may not be available to families in a similar situation in the future,” the district site said in a news release. “However, because it appears possible to provide the exception this year and maintain a 5A classification for all campuses, it was the Board’s desire to allow families the option to keep both their children at the same high school.” 

Additional adjustments were made to attendance zones that affect various elementary schools, including Hosp, Mooneyham, Sem, Liscano, Nichols, Norris, and Ashley. For more information and to see the approved attendance zones, click here.