PAP English II introduces new unit

Sarah Boutouis (March 2020)

Freshmen have been reading Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. Despite what they’re reading, all of this is to prepare for the English STAAR Tuesday.

Jordan Battey, Staff Reporter

The idea of forgiveness, and how this thematic element presents itself in both Shakespearian and modern literature, as well as current world events, is the focus of a current unit for Pre-AP English 2 students.

“I want the students to develop an interest in Shakespeare, and an understanding of what he wrote, and how he expressed thematic elements, especially in regard to how they tie into the focus on forgiveness,” teacher David Volkmar said. “Traditionally, 10th grade English is World Lit, so what we study should be diversified. The point behind world literature is to be exposed to different cultures and different ways of understanding.”

In addition to reading The Tempest, students have a choice to read either a recommended modern reading selection, or one of their own choices with diverse literature selections added to the list of recommended novels, including I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter, The Joy Luck Club, and A Long Way Gone.

“I definitely love the initiative of wanting to create a safer and more inclusive environment through giving us more options when choosing a book to read,” sophomore Kamarri Askew said. “However at the same time, I feel a little hesitant, as I feel like some might use this opportunity to mock or invalidate the struggles some of the characters are facing in their daily lives. I definitely look forward to the basics such as Shakespeare, but I also have an interest in researching different topics and learning everything i can about issues that are important specifically to me. In this day and age, the best thing you can do is remain educated, and I feel like a current events journal will help students do this.”

In an effort to connect these writings to the outside world, students are being asked to create a current events journal, where they compare themes from their individual reading to real-life issues and scenarios. 

“I believe the current events journal will be helpful, as learning about the events of today’s world is very important,” sophomore Grant Carlisle said. “With the large amount of news in the past year, it will be helpful to gain an understanding of what’s going on.”