Tech theatre gets ready for UIL competitons

Alyssa Murphy

From Monday to Wednesday, students will have the opportunity to audition for a role in this year’s musical. Unlike previous auditions, students are required to sing, dance, and do cold reads.

Rishika Desai, Guest Contributor

Tech Theatre students are getting their chance in the spotlight courtesy of the yearly UIL Theatrical Design Competition with submissions due Feb. 13. 

“It is important to have a competition for Tech Theatre students to help people realize the true hard work that goes behind a theatre production,” Kulkarni said. “The backstage crew is just as important as the actors to help make a production look amazing.” 

This year’s designs must be based on the musical Man of La Mancha, based on the famous novel of Don Quixote

“I’ve learned that it is not easy to come up with a set idea,” Kulkarni said. “There is a lot of thought that goes into every single aspect so that the play looks creative but still does not stray far away from the original theme.”

There is also a large focus on the practicality of the designs working collectively and on the stage, according to freshman Megan Daugherty, who is competing in hair/make-up design. 

“I have to come up with a good design but also make sure it would look okay on stage, and make sure the designs go well together,” Daugherty said. 

With 14,000 students competing from all over Texas, creativity is what can win or lose the competition. Kulkarni said that she had to develop an approach that strayed from the play’s original context. 

“[The play] originally takes place in a dungeon,” Kulkarni said. “This was going to be my setting, but I wanted to make it a little creative, so I decided to set it in an asylum. I then drew my set drawing based on my artwork.”

Daugherty said that her process was full of finding inspiration from other places and incorporating that into her ideas. 

“My process was really a lot of sketching it out and coming up with different ideas. I looked at a lot of different references on google to get a good idea for the vibe I wanted,” Daugherty said. 

Like Kulkarni, Daugherty feels that the competition is a good opportunity for Tech Theatres students to improve and exhibit their talents. 

“The competition pushes us to improve and use our creativity,” Daugherty said. “It’s something that challenges us but is also something fun.”