Boys’ basketball beats Knights, girl’ team ready to do the same

Tuesday+night+the+boys+defeated+the+Knights+83-71.+Wednesday+the+girls+have+their+chance+to+take+on+the+Knights+at+6%3A30+p.m.+on+the+road.+

Tuesday night the boys defeated the Knights 83-71. Wednesday the girls’ have their chance to take on the Knights at 6:30 p.m. on the road.

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

The boys took home another win in District 9-5A play Tuesday night, defeating the Independence Knights 83-71. The win moved the Redhawks to 6-8 in district play, just two games out of the final playoff spot with four to play. 

Rattling off a few wins in a row, the team’s confidence level is up, giving coach Stephen Friar a chance to focus on improving other skills before the next game Friday.

“We really want to be working together with communication and just locking in and focusing on the game plan,” Friar said.

Meanwhile, the girls take their shot against the Knights Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at Independence High School.

To prepare his team for the game, coach Ross Reedy has been working to ensure his players feel confident in their ability to judge the ball.

“We have been working on using more flow trying to make things more seamless, making sure that the kids are empowered prior to the game so that they don’t have to get a lot of direction from the bench during the game,” Reedy said.

Hoping to see more independence from the athletes, Reedy is excited to see what his players can do.

“At this point of the year, we want kids to be problem solving, instead of coaches, because players problem solving on the court makes the process more efficient,” Reedy said.