Monday sports recap

The wresting teams both competed this weekend, with the girls taking home a first place title.

Jason Thurston

Arman Kafai, Lead Sports Reporter

It’s the busiest time of the sports school year as all winter and spring sports are underway and here on campus it was a mixed bag of results over the weekend.

The girls’ basketball team defeated Heritage 54-33 on Friday, bumping them to 14-1 in district play, and clinching their fourth consecutive district title, with one game to go. Jordan Hamilton led all scorers with 15 points, while her fellow junior Rebecca Lescay contributed 13. The girls conclude their regular season against Frisco on Tuesday.

The boys’ basketball team also came out with a win, dominating Heritage 93-64. Senior Carter Brown led the team with 16 points, while surging sophomore Jadyn Bennett added 14 in the rout. The win gives the team a 12-1 record in district play. With a win against Frisco on Tuesday, the team will clinch their second straight district title with two games remaining.

On the soccer field, the results weren’t quite as good. The girls’ soccer team lost to first place Centennial 5-1 with Hannah Anderson providing the only goal for the team. The girls are in third place in the district standings with a 5-3 record.

The boys’ soccer team also played Centennial and came away with a 1-1 draw leaving them winless in their last four games. Josh Fuller was the lone goal scorer for the team. The draw keep the team in fourth place, with a 2-2-3 record and 9 points. Both soccer teams are idle on Tuesday.

The weekend was capped with strong performances on the mat. Both boys’ and girls’ wrestling earned district titles this weekend with eight individuals winning district championships and a total of 18 advancing to the Regional Meet Friday and Saturday here on campus. Junior Jordan Robison was named Most Outstanding Wrestler.