Bands combine for upcoming UIL performances

ABand+students+are+transition+from+an+ensemble+setting+to+focusing+on+the+upcoming+UIL+Solo+and+Ensemble+Contest+on+Feb.+12.+Although+nerve+raking+for+some%2C+this+opportunity+will+help+student+grow+into+better+musicians.+

ABand students are transition from an ensemble setting to focusing on the upcoming UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest on Feb. 12. Although nerve raking for some, this opportunity will help student grow into better musicians.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Due to virtual learning and less people in in-person classes, the band is changing some things for their upcoming UIL performances.

“Based off the instrumentation or make-up of the band instruments attending class in-person we as a band staff have decided to combine Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Winds, the first and second bands as well as Symphonic Band and Concert Band the third and fourth bands into two ensembles for the UIL Concert & Sight-Reading Contest,” associate band director Tyler Elvidge said. “Between these four separate band classes in-person attendance is only at 50 percent.”

Senior Chris Xiao believes the bands combining is a good solution due to its current situation.

“I think it makes sense to combine the two bands since some players are staying virtual, and they need to make up for the small number of players,” Xiao said. “I think combining the bands is a good idea as long as everyone maintains a good distance and that safety guidelines are met. It depends on if the pandemic is over or not, but I don’t think they should combine the bands again or do it virtually again because combining the bands is only happening from the ongoing pandemic.”

After Spring Break the two band groups will combine to learn music together in after school rehearsals.

​“The process to choose music this year is the same as a non-COVID year,” Elvidge said. “Once instrument section numbers and ability levels are decided we can start to look and listen to what the most appropriate music for the group to play is. This year’s goal is to choose music that still challenges all students in the combined groups but allows everyone to be successful playing.”

For junior Luke Logan the bands combining is a good solution for the pandemic, but the normal UIL experience is still preferred.

“I think the bands combining is a good idea because it allows us to make a full band and do more kinds of music,” Logan said. “I would prefer it was normal but that just isn’t possible with COVID and because of that I hope we return to normal bands after COVID, it’s a good solution with COVID but I still prefer a normal band.”

Although not part of the UIL process, the week before Spring Break the two band groups will hold a virtual concert during their class period for parents.

“The performance will be asynchronous and happened at a designated time in mid-April,” Elvidge said. “This will not be a traditional concert open to the public. Instead, we will be recording video and audio to submit for adjudication for both our concert stage performance and also a sight-reading assessment performance. These recordings will be sent off to a panel of UIL judges for ratings and comments.”