3 nets a win for girls, a draw for boys

Troy Williams

The girls’ soccer team enters playoffs for the first time in five years as they face the Frisco Raccoons. The team knows a challenge is ahead, but they are ready to gain a win on Thursday.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

The soccer teams had an unique opportunity to take on Lone Star High School Tuesday night at Toyota Stadium, the home of FC Dallas

It was a slow start to the game as it was 0-0 at halftime, however the girls’ were able to lasso the Rangers in the end they defeated them 3-0. 

“It gives us something to build on,” head coach Kyle Beggs said. “Because I thought that last night, especially in the second half we really started clicking the way that I know that we can play.And that I have seen in spurts in other games but last night, it was for a whole half.”

This win moved the girls to a tie for fifth place in District 9-5A.

“It puts us in a position to fight for a playoff spot,” Beggs said. “We’re still seven points out of a playoff spot right now. But there’s nine games left so there’s 27 points available. If we take a majority of those I think that we have a good chance going forward.”

Shortly following the girls win, the boys also scored three goals, but they gave up three goals for a 3-3 draw with the Rangers, leaving them tied for fourth place at 4-2-3. 

“We did good offensively as we created a lot of chances,” senior Andy Wolfe said. “We need to work on starting the game strong.”