Double masking may become the new norm

On Wednesday, the Texas Education Agency released new guidelines for schools: “Under this updated guidance, a public school system’s current practices on masks may continue unchanged. Local school boards have full authority to determine their local mask policy.”

Ana Cuen, Managing Editor

Double masking has become increasingly popular with the rise of COVID-19 cases. While there are no official statements from the CDC, according to some public health officials, wearing two masks could be a benefit with the new strands of coronavirus emerging across the world. 

“If you have a physical covering with one layer, you put another layer on, it just makes common sense that it likely would be more effective, and that’s the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95,” Press Chief medical advisor to President Joe Biden, Dr. Anthony Fauci, said in a Today interview

While this emerging recommendation may be relatively new, some Redhawks have been doubling up on masks since the beginning of 2021.  

“Wearing a double mask helps me feel safer in a school environment as I feel more secure in terms of catching the virus,” senior Sufiyan Sabir said. “With multiple layers, the risk of spreading COVID decreases drastically as it can’t enter the airway as easily. A double mask is a simple precaution, but I know that by practicing this precaution, I am doing more to keep myself and my peers safe from the pandemic.”

Those like Health Science 2 Clinicals instructor Amy Parker, who have received the COVID-19 vaccine as healthcare workers, are also doing everything they can to lower the risk for those around them.

“[I started double masking] not just to protect myself but to also protect others, and the variation of the COVID-19 virus that is mutated is now 70 percent more contagious and is considered more likely to spread,” Parker said. “So by double masking I am now willing to participate in protecting myself and the others. And even though I’ve received my second shot of the vaccine, I’m still not totally protected for another 30 days.”

However, there are other students that have yet to consider this as an option with no official statement from the CDC yet. 

“I think it might do something, but socially I would never do it,” senior Madi Erwin said.

As medical professionals continue working and acquiring new information, in the eyes of school nurse Emily Mikeska, there is no harm in taking the extra precaution.

“I think double masking is a great idea, especially if you’re in large crowds,” she said. “They say it’s not as good as the N95 masks but comparable. I think in certain places, like if you’re going to be in a very crowded area for an extended length of time, I would wear more. But when I’m here [office at school], when I’m randomly around people and not with them for an extended length of time, I don’t feel it’s necessary.”