Second round of district play begins for soccer

Troy Williams

Taking on the Mavricks, girls’ and boys’ soccer saw a win and a tie against Emerson. The girls’ team earned a spot in playoffs with their win on Tuesday.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

Friday night underneath the stadium lights, the soccer teams kick off the second round of District 9-5A play by taking on Memorial High School.

The girls’ team starts the second round by traveling to Memorial. They enter Friday’s game sitting in sixth place with a record of 3-4-2.

“For the second half of district we definitely want to get more wins under our belt,” senior Paige Ripberger said. “So we have a better chance at making the playoffs.”

Facing the Warriors for the second time, the Redhawks hope to flip the script from their 1-0 loss on Jan. 5. 

“We are really working towards a win for tonight’s game,” Ripberger said. “So we can hopefully move up in standings.”

The boys’ team is striving for the same thing as they host Memorial at 7:15 p.m. Beating the Warriors 2-0 in the first district game of the year, the team is hoping to start this round off with the same momentum and solidify their playoff position. 

“When you play a team the second time, you know their tactics and their game plan,” sophomore Jack Clutter said. “Today coach wanted us to watch over Memorial film writing down key players and their trends on the soccer field. Knowing these things will help us prepare for our game.”