Counselors introduce Kindness Challenge

This week, students have been meeting with their counselors and talking through their schedules for next year in social studies classes. This is an opportunity for counselors to ensure students are meeting graduation requirements and have overall chosen classes that are well-suited for them.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

To promote kindness throughout the community, the Counseling Department is introducing the Kindness Challenge with students encouraged to perform random acts of kindness throughout February, and share on social media.

“The purpose of this challenge is to promote kindness throughout the community because we all need more positive influence and encouragement during the COVID season,” S-Z counselor Rainy Lanae said. “Please feel free to be creative with recording your acts of kindness, we’d love for you to post them to whatever social media platform you use.”

Having the opportunity to connect with others is something that sophomore Chiranth Narasimha Murthy believes can help both in the short and long run.

“I feel like this is an interesting challenge, and since I’m new to the district, it can help me make new friends,” Murthy said. “Staying connected with the community especially during these challenging times is extremely crucial because there are several people out there undergoing tough situations. Helping people in need can go a long way as it comes back to you in one way or the other.”

Sophomore Kritika Ramesh on the other hand feels like helping people in need can not only make one feel less isolated but also improve one’s outlook on life significantly.

I think helping other people can drastically improve your outlook on life,” Ramesh said. “Personally, whenever I help someone out, I feel better about that day. I think, especially during this time, doing small acts of kindness can not only make others feel better but also help yourself. Since we are not able to see people in-person as much as before, we can feel isolated. However, I think staying connected through digital platforms is still a viable option that can help people.”