Panther Creek, Board of Trustees unveils name of newest high school

provided by Frisco ISD

There’s always some movement of teachers and other staff members around the district from school year to school as people take new jobs. With the opening of Panther Creek High School in August, there’s going to be even more openings in Frisco ISD than normal.

Cooper Ragle, WTV Executive Producer

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees met Monday night, a part of the agenda was unveiling the name of high school #12 to be Panther Creek, opening fall of 2022. 

Already under construction Northeast of Teel Parkway near the future PGA Headquarters and golf courses, the new school is named after the creek that will border the campus. 

“Panther Creek High is named for the creek that will border the campus property” the district site said. “Panther Creek, a tributary of Lake Lewisville, was most likely named because of a panther killed on or near its banks. No panthers have been spotted on the creek or near the anticipated campus recently.” 

Based on input from students in the district, the academic portion of the school will be three stories tall, which should allow students to move from class to class faster, according to the district site. The new school is also expected to have more outdoor learning spaces.

“The creek provided fresh water for the settlers and possibly the Caddo Native Americans who traveled through the region,” the site said. “The settlement’s founder, Rev. William Bates, is credited with bringing Methodism to North Texas. All that is left of the Bates community is Zion Cemetery, which is located along FM 423 just north of Panther Creek Parkway.”

Panther Creek will open its doors to students in grades 9-11 in Aug. 2022, with attendance zones for panther creek high school set to be announced this fall. 

“With the addition of this campus, Frisco ISD will be able to continue its student opportunity model, keeping high schools at an enrollment level where more students have the opportunity to be successful and involved with their campus,” the district said on its site.  

More information from Monday’s school board meeting can be found here.