COVID, couples, and complications for Valentine’s day

Valentines+Day+can+be+filled+with+things+such+as+teddy+bears+and+candy+given+to+significant+others.+Its+a+day+designed+to+show+love+for+those+in+your+life+that+are+important+to+individuals.+

Rahmin Jawaid

Valentine’s Day can be filled with things such as teddy bears and candy given to significant others. It’s a day designed to show love for those in your life that are important to individuals.

Isabelle Engles, Guest Contributer

A normal Valentine’s Day might see couples buying gifts, booking reservations, and setting up plans with their significant other to celebrate their love. But this year with COVID-19, Valentine’s Day may look a little bit different. 

Freshmen Ayra Osman and Isaiah Karratti became a couple on Jan. 24, 2020, before COVID-19. But their relationship has been a little bit different compared to last year, due to the pandemic. 

“Last year for Valentine’s Day, I got Isaiah a teddy bear with a gummy controller, and we went to shop and see a movie at the mall,” freshman Ayra Osman said. 

This may not be in the plans this year as life is anything but normal

“This year, our plans are a secret, I can’t tell her, but I think COVID-19 affects our relationship so much because our parents don’t let us go out as much, so it stops us from hanging out,” freshman Isaiah Karratti said. “Also, if one of us gets quarantined, we can’t even see each other at school, for the past four months our relationship is mostly FaceTiming.” 

Although COVID-19 may affect some relationships, for sophomore Alex Constantino Novas and freshman Emily Massie, things seem to be the same. 

“I wouldn’t say it’s harder to make plans with COVID-19, besides her always wanting to go to Six Flags,” Constantino Novas said. 

The pandemic seems to have  changed some couple’s plans, but Constantino Novas and Massie have found a way to still celebrate Valentine’s Day together. 

“I think we’re just going to chill at home,” Massie said. “But if COVID-19 wasn’t a thing, I’d want to go out with him and have dinner.”

Even though Alex and Emily may not be able to go out to celebrate, COVID-19 does not stop them from doing their favorite thing. 

“Our favorite thing to do together would probably be just hanging out, watching movies, etc.,” Constantino Novas said. “So, COVID-19 doesn’t really affect that.”