Food science takes a trip back to the 50s

This+years+Food+Science+project+requires+students+to+take+a+vintage+approach+to+recipe+making+and+baking.+

https://unsplash.com/photos/80gNcl8u8aU

This year’s Food Science project requires students to take a vintage approach to recipe making and baking.

Ashika Deshpande, Staff Reporter

This year’s twist on the annual Food Science project due Thursday requires students to go back to the 1950s, or before, to whip up a vintage baking recipe and modernize it into a baking mix for today’s consumer. 

“They are graded on their development of the product, cooking labs with focus groups/judges feedback, nutrition information, product packing and oral presentation,” Food Science teacher, Jessica Fisher-Hattey said via email. “My first year here, the scenario was decadent desserts and last year, it was dinner entrees.”

This capstone project was created to demonstrate students’ mastery of all Food Science standards. 

“You also have to create a display board at the end of this project and give an oral explanation to the judges,” senior Shivani Holla said via email. “I am looking forward to actually trying to cook the recipe and design a creative mooderized box packaging.” 

Students must follow the rubric Food Innovations, a FCCLA Competition Project, which alters each year. 

“Students often struggle with the components of the project that are true baking or cooking science,” Fisher said. “They are doing product development that actual Food Scientists do and that includes advanced skills and adaptability.”

At least two people must assess the student’s dish using the judges’ questions to receive a grade for the tasting section. 

“In person students will have their dishes judged by staff members or students at school and the virtual students will have their dishes judged by either parents, siblings, or neighbors,” Holla said. 

The project is meant to teach students skills such as product development, modernization, product testing, marketing techniques, and knowledge of subject matter. 

“Everything I teach, from research to nutrition and cooking science is used to complete this project,” Fisher said. “I look forward to trying all of their unique recipes and watching them demonstrate skills we have honed all year.”