Back on the mat after months long delay

used with permission from @RedhawksWrestle

Wednesday night the Redhawks were back on the mat, as the team was able to compete after a year long break. The boys team finished 2-1-0, while the girls team finished 2-1.

Andrew Jáuregui, Staff Reporter

Months later than normal, the Redhawk wrestling team was finally back in action Wednesday, facing Lebanon Trail, Frisco, and Memorial, with the boys team winning two of their matches, and tying with Frisco, while the girls also beat Lebanon Trail and Memorial, but losing to Frisco.

For head coach Cody Bridwell, it’s good to finally be back on the mat.

“I felt like we came out together as a team and competed really well,” Bridwell said. “The team was enthusiastic and stuck together when they were competing. They stuck it out through every match, and never showed that they were tired. 

Starting off the season with two wins, Bridwell still sees room for improvement.

“I think we were a little excited and trying to do too much,” he said. “We just need to simplify it and just do what we do best.”

For sophomore wrestler James Harris, it was good getting to wrestle kids from other teams.

“Because of COVID we wrestled the person we lifted with,” James said via text. “I would know how that person wrestled and how to defend against that, but we would change partners every few weeks.”

Wednesday’s matches proved the team’s supportive spirit to sophomore Bella Burkett, while also helping her figure out what she needed to work on.

“The whole team, boys and girls are really good about cheering each other on during matches, and everyone gave their best effort,” Bella said via text. “Personally I hope to improve my strength and endurance, and to soon beat the girls I wrestled last night.”