Band Leadership Team selection process begins

The Redhawk marching band is preparing for this year’s competitive marching show. This year’s show theme, ‘Queen Bee,’ strives to highlight the talents of the band.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

With the pandemic ongoing, band directors are having to adjust Thursday and Friday’s auditions for the Band Leadership Team to work for both face to face and virtual students.

Students will get to ask questions, practice, and prepare for their leadership audition, associate director of bands Tyler Elvidge said. We are looking for students who can demonstrate the marching and music skills necessary to be a leader within the band program. Students also need to show that they are capable and willing of maintaining a mindset of servant leadership. Students should exemplify the Liberty Band core values of Accountability, Attitude, Character, Dedication, Integrity, and Professionalism.

Students have three positions to audition for: drum major, section leader, and visual captain. 

I am applying for both visual captain and section leader because I want to be involved in leadership but don’t think I have the time for a role such as drum major, junior Julia Johnson said. I want to apply because I enjoyed being a part of the team this year and want to continue with it. I’m hoping to gain more leadership skills and become more confident in teaching. My goals are to have fun with the section while still putting in effort for competitions and the band.

Drum majors direct the band during the marching season, visual captains help others with their marching, and section leaders are the leader of their instrument section

I’m applying for the positions of visual captain and section leader because I feel confident in my marching band skills and that I could really excel at these jobs, sophomore Gabby Stiles. I really wanted to apply for BLT so that I could be a part of making the band a more welcoming and inclusive environment, especially for new members. I’m hoping to gain leadership experience and to also help those around me in any way that I can. My top priority would be making sure that new members feel welcomed and that band is a safe space for everyone.

Students wishing to audition must prepare a speech on why they should be in the program and deliver it during their class period.

The help sessions are provided for students to learn from the previous year’s Band Leadership Team, Elvidge said. Last year BLT auditions took place at the beginning of the pandemic. Every aspect of those auditions took place virtually either within Google Classroom or Zoom. This year we are using Canvas for students to submit their resume, philosophy of leadership, current report card, questionnaire, video presentation, and intent form. We are once again using Zoom for the live auditions.